Saturday, August 1, 2009

Desiree Holt

Hi, Desiree.
Thanks for agreeing to chat with Enchanting Reviews about your books. We are so excited about getting to know you better.

1. When did you decide to become an author and why?
I always had a desire to write but family and career took up so much time that there wasn’t enough left over for my personal creative process. That had to wait until we retired. By then, I hade notebooks and computer folders full of ideas just scratching to get out of my brain. Four years ago, my husband finally gave me the kick I needed to get started and I’ve been writing ever since. The thing I like about writing is you start with a blank page and the words you put down on it can create images and emotions for the readers. At least I hope they will!

2. Who is a writer that inspires you? Who is a writer that you admire and would like to get to know better? Do you have an author that mentors you?
Let’s start with the third question. We have several published authors in our RWA chapter and I am grateful for all the help and advice they’ve given me, especially the critique group they run which is invaluable. Lots of writers inspire me, but I think probably Joey Hill has had the most influence. When I started reading her books, I saw how beautiful erotic romance could be and I strive for that level all the time. An author I admire? Lordy, there are so many. I was fortunate to meet Joey Hill last year at RT. I’d really love to meet Toni Blake. Her Tempt Me Tonight is a real keeper.

3. What award that you have won are you most proud of? What award would you like to win?
BEG ME, a short novella released by Total-E-bound, was the Naughty Nibble of the Year from Romanced Reviewers Today.

4. Please tell us about your favorite book that you have published, and what makes it special to you?
I’d have to say it’s a tie between ONCE UPON A WEDDING (Ellora’s Cave) and NIGHT RIDE (The Wild Rose Press). I fell in love with the love story in each one and they still hang around in my mind. I love the ending I wrote for Wedding.

5. How do you come your with your characters and/or plot? Are any of them based loosely on real people in your life? Are your characters usually hard or easy to work with?
Characters are usually easy for me because I meet so many people who make good character models. My heroes are always alpha males with a strong sensitive side and my heroines are never wimpy, even when their situation is desperate. I like writing strong women who don’t come across as G.I. Jane. I want my readers to say, Oh, I want to be like her. And yes, some of them are based loosely on people in my life. Dominic, in DIAMOND LADY, is based on a man I once had a relationship with, for example. I never got him out of my head. The hero of NIGHT RIDE is based on the manager of a ranch I visited doing research for my cowboy books. So yeah, you never know who’s going to pop up in one of my stories.

6. What would be your first rule if you held ultimate power over the male gender?
Respect women and don’t be Mr. Always Right. Sometimes, I really have to smack my heroes when they start this I’m right She’s wrong business.

7. If you had to describe your writing to someone using only 3 words, what would they be?
Erotic, plot-drive, tantalizing

8. What do you like least about writing?
No contest here –Editing, hands down.

9. What do you like to do when you are not writing?
Read and watch football; spend time with my totally wonderful husband

10. Do you prefer to wear dresses or slacks?
Slacks. Much more comfortable.

11. Bubble bath or shower? Satin or lace? Chocolate or vanilla? Wine or beer? Pillows or blankets? Pen or Pencil? Blue ink or black?
Bubble bath but usually only have time for showers. Lace - love it. Chocolate all the way. Wine - we collect Texas wines. Pen. Blue ink - black looks too heavy.

12. How do you do your research for the BDSM in your books? How did you discover the dominant/submissive world? Is there anything you write about that you would not try?
I discovered it when I started reading Joey Hill’s books and it fascinated me. I started doing research online and discovered a wealth of information. I even joined a couple of online communities, telling them who I was and that I’m doing research for my writing, and some of the members are very helpful to me. The important thing with BDSM is to get across the message it’s not about just pain and manipulation, but about a sharing of need and ways of expressing it that give pleasure to all parties. I always start with the romance and build from their. In TEACHING MOLLY, my heroine is an older woman whose sexuality has been damaged by her former husband. Nick, who falls in love with her, wants to share his BDSM lifestyle with her but worries that she won’t know how to accept it. The way he teaches her and draws her into it is a strong element of their love story.

13. Can you give us a sneak peek into what you are writing now? Or a hint of what is up-coming?
In July Ellora’s Cave will release LINE OF SIGHT, my first shape shifter, and in October my very first single author anthology, HOT, WICKED AND WILD. And The Wild Rose Press will release DREAM STROKES, another of my stories I totally fell in love with. I’m very excited about all of them.

Desiree, thank you so much for your candor in answering our questions. We can't wait to review more work from you in the near future! Thanks again for choosing Enchanting Reviews.

Interviewed by Desiree de Cleves
June 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment