Saturday, July 18, 2009

Adelle Laudan

Adelle, we appreciate you taking the time to chat with Enchanting Reviews about your books. I have fallen in love with your books.

Thanks for the opportunity.

1.When did you decide to become an author and why?
Writing has always been a release of sorts for me. I only shared my stories with a few select friends. It was the beginning of 2006 I completed my story, Juliana, and a good friend talked me into submitting it to be published. I decided to give myself one year to see if I had what it took to become a published author.

2.Who is a writer that inspires you? Who is a writer that you admire and would like to get to know better?
VC Andrews is the first author I actively sought out her books after reading the trilogy, Flowers in the Attic, If there be Thorns, and Petals in the Wind. I’d love to meet Jean M Auel, author of Clan of the Cave Bear, as this is where my love affair with the native culture began.

3.What award that you have won are you most proud of? What award would you like to win?
Placing 1st in the contemporary romance category of the Predator and Editor Polls of 2007. This award meant a lot to me because it was the votes of my readers that determined my win. If I could win any other award, I guess I’d love to win, the Golden Heart, an Eppie, or Rita award.

4.Do you have a set schedule for when you write?
I try to do most of my writing while my girls are at school, but sometimes my muse has other plans. Often times waking me up at 2 a.m. with a story that must be told. Sometimes, if I’m looking for a new story idea I will visit the travels sites. All it takes is finding the perfect location and I am off and running.

5.How long did it take you to get your first book published?
I remember submitting my first book, JULIANA, and within a week’s time, I was signing my first contract. Since then I’ve learned this is not the norm. I really got lucky with my first publisher. It was a positive experience considering how green I was about the publishing industry.

6.What encouragements would you give other writers? Any advice?
I think the most important thing I’ve learned is to remain teachable. There’s always something new to learn about the craft of writing. Don’t be afraid to ask questions, most authors are more than happy to help.

7.Where did you work when you were in high school? What jobs did you have before becoming a writer?
I left home at the tender age of fifteen and worked three jobs to survive. My first job was at McDonald’s, and I worked at a Pizza Place and I was a sewing machine operator at Levis Strauss. I went back to school in my early twenties to get my diploma. Most of my jobs have been in the textile industry, from sewing to cutting, to pattern design. I can create a garment from the pattern all the way through to the finished product.

8.Please tell us about your favorite book that you have published, and what makes it special to you?
I think JULIANA will always be special to me as it was my first. It was a very emotional journey writing it. I hope at least one person living in an abusive situation can draw strength from my words and begin their own healing journey.

9.How do you come your with your characters and/or plot?
I usually write by the seat of my pants, why no rhyme or reason. I wrote IRON HORSE RIDER with an outline for the first time. I entered NaNoWriMo and finished the rough draft in one month’s time. The following year I wrote IRON HORSE RIDER 2 and I hope to write IRON HORSE RIDER 3 this year.

10.Which of your male characters would you be the most attracted to in real life?
Well, at this time in my life, I am officially allergic to men. Lol. But if I had to pick one, I’d say Taylor from my next release, CRUCIFIED.

11.What would be your first rule if you held ultimate power over the male gender?
Hmm, I think rule number one would be, NO man will ever lay a hand on a woman in anger…for any reason…no exceptions.

12.What do you like to do when you are not writing?
I always have, and always will love being in the wind. There’s something magical about being on a motorcycle that you really have to experience to understand.

13. Is there anything else about you that you would like to share with Enchanting Reviews and your readers?
I’d like to invite you all to visit my website (www.adellelaudan.com). Sign up for my newsletter and sign my guestbook while you’re there. I’m always giving away things to my subscribers.

We can't wait to review more work from you in the near future! Thanks again for choosing to talk with Enchanting Reviews.

Thank you, Desiree. I am thrilled that you have liked my books so much so far. I look forward to many more reviews by Enchanting Reviews. Until next time.
Wishing you Miles of Smiles
Adelle

Interviewed by Desiree de Cleves
May 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment