Saturday, July 18, 2009

Nancy Lindquist

Hi, Nancy. Thanks for agreeing to you to share a little bit of yourself with readers of Enchanting Reviews. We promise this will be mostly harmless (and a little bit fun).

1. When did you decide to become an author and why?
It was not that long ago. I made the decision to take my writing seriously and write a book in the spring of 2006. Before that, I’d been writing poetry and keeping a blog. I’d always wanted to write a book, but I’m dyslexic and believed I would never accomplish finishing a book and getting it published.

2. Who is a writer that inspires you?
Good writing is my best inspiration. I spend time every day, reading. I don’t have a specific mentor, but the generosity of other authors have allowed me to realize my dreams.

3. Do you have a set schedule for when you write? Do you have any superstitions or rituals when writing?
I write September, through June. Take the summers off to be with my kids. During the school year, I write Monday – Thursday, ten hours a day. I have to push myself, but it’s worth it. I don’t have any special writing rituals, unless you count an addiction to Diet Coke. J I read for inspiration. I can tell when I have not read enough, my writing suffers. Feeding my muse is very important. Silence is good, too.

4. How long did it take you to get your first book published? How did you go about picking a publisher?
It didn’t take long. I sold it quickly, after an initial rejection, and it was published six months later. I was shocked and thrilled and will be forever grateful to Samhain Publishing for the opportunity. I chose Samhain because the quality of the writing there is top notch and they are very supportive of their writers.

5. Please tell us about your favorite book that you have published and what makes it special to you?
I love all my stories. I think you have to love your work, but I have a soft spot for LADY LILLIAN’S GUIDE TO AMAZING SEX. It was the first book I’ve ever written and I love the story.

6. How do you come up with your with your characters and/or plot? Are any of them based loosely on real people in your life? Are your characters usually hard or easy to work with?
I come up with my best ideas when I’m running, or in the shower. Ideas pop into my head when I’m focused on something else. Some mornings I get on the computer and tap away at the keys in a towel. Which the neighbors are probably not thrilled about since I have to open my curtains and have natural light. LOL!

I do base my characters on people I know. At least, that’s how they start. They are not recognizable as I move through the work.

A lot of authors see their characters as living breathing beings with control. I’m not like that. It’s my hamster cage and I control the rats. I’ve never had a couple not be able to fall in love. I am too much of a control freak to let my characters do anything, but fall in line. You squeak on the hamster wheel when I say you do. LOL!

7. Which couple that you have written is your favorite and why? Can you describe them using only 3 words?
Rick and Becky from HOW TO CONJURE A MAN. I just love them. They talk out their issues. There is drama, but it’s internal. I’m a stormy ole nasty wench, when I wanna be, and Becky is not like that at all. She’s not into my trauma drama.

Becky and Rick: Fire, Laughter, Seduction.

8. Which of your male characters would you be the most attracted to in real life?
None of them. LOL! I like smart blond men, like my husband, but most of my male characters are tall and dark. Smart. I cannot have a character who is a dope. No man-cicles here, but I am not into dark men. I think I dated two dark men in my entire dating career and both relationships were a mess.

9. I love your quote 'Because a Penis is Not a Throbbing Love Muscle'. Do you have any other words of wisdom for us?
OH MY HECK!! I love that one too. “It’s all sassy fabulous,” is a Nancy-ism and, “If you don’t stop screwing around, I’m going to cook and eat you.” That one is often said to my kids. I also say, “You just think you’re the king turd of poo mountain, don’t you?” but that was stolen from a tri-athlete I know, who calls himself The Bear.

10. What do you like to do when you are not writing? How do you train for your triathlon events?
I eat. It’s sad, but true. I am such a foodie. I only do the triathlons so I can eat pancakes without guilt.I train on and off for my tri’s. Usually you get an every-other-summer effort out of me. One summer I will hit it hard, and the next, I take it easier. When I’m training hard I run five miles in the morning and bike fifteen – twenty miles in the afternoon. I swim when I force myself. I’m a strong swimmer naturally, and I find it easy. Which translates to, I think I can slide. I can’t, but I do. I love the races. I always think I’m crazy and I can’t do it, and I always finish. I’ve just learned to finish what I start in the last few years.I also read and travel. I love to travel.

11. What is one item that you could not live without?
People: Kids and husband.
Item: Computer. “You can have it…when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.”

12. If you were stranded on a deserted island with only 3 books, what would they be?
That is an EEEVIL question.The Vedas, a Hindu religious text. I love them. War and Peace, ‘cause I barely finished it twenty years ago and I was skimming near the end. And The Joy of Cooking.

13. If we were having this interview in a person, what restaurant would you choose and what would you order?
Great question, since I’m all about food. I’m assuming you’re paying and I can order anything I want, because you have a fabu expense account.

Fabu expense account:There’s a place in downtown Ann Arbor that my husband and I hit once a year. It’s called, “The Chop House.” AMAZING STEAKS!!! I’d order a fillet, a nice salad and a Cosmo. Which means you’d get an interesting interview about halfway through the evening. *grin* Next door there is a dessert restaurant with AMAZING desserts. One of each, to share.

If we’re on a regular budget:The Peppermill in Las Vegas. They have huge, monster portions of the best twelve egg omelets ever and hash browns you would die for. They also serve a Bloody Mary that is out of this world. When in Vegas, I drink before noon, 'cause there’s a three hour time difference between there and home. Goodness, I sound like a lush. I only have a drink when I’m out and then, only one. I’m a lightweight.

14. Can you give us a sneak peek into what you are writing now? Or a hint of what is up-coming?
I’m just finishing my first action adventure romance. I don’t have a title. I am crap at titles. It’s set in my hometown of Grand Haven, MI and has a St. Bernard in it. I put dogs in my work a lot. I love animals. I would write more cats, but they are so mysterious and elegant; the opposite of me.

15. Is there anything else about you that you would like to share with Enchanting Reviews and your readers?
I am just thrilled and tickled to be a part of this site and to be interviewed by you. I am honored, beyond words. Not a frequent thing, for me.

I also want to encourage other moms of special needs children. I have two of them. One adopted with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and my autistic angel. I know it’s hard. I know there are days you lose yourself. I also know the value of opening a book in the rare lulls and being transported to another time and place. Books are our friends, when the kids are screaming and the world is ending. A good book will refresh and revive you. Those are the people I write for -the women who just want a few minutes to escape and laugh, as well as fall in love all over again.

Thank you so much for your candor and humor in answering our questions. We can't wait to review more work from you in the near future! You are such a wonderful lady and we really appreciate the opportunity to get to know you better. Thanks again for choosing to work with Enchanting Reviews.

Interviewed by dawn
August 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment