Thursday, July 16, 2009

Gemma Halliday

Gemma, thanks for agreeing to chat with Enchanting Reviews. Your books are so fun.

1. How did you go from writer to published author?
I spent about three years writing with publication in mind before I sold my first book. During that time I wrote seven full novels. Yeah, I had a big learning curve. But, for me, it really took that much trial and error for me to find my voice and the niche I belonged in as a writer. I met my current editor when I attended a writing conference in 2005. I gave her a quick 2 minute elevator pitch, she requested the manuscript, and a month later I was offered my first book contract.

2. Why mystery?
Growing up, mysteries were always my favorite thing to read. I devoured Nancy Drew and Agatha Christie books. At the time, I never dreamed I'd be able to come up with those kinds of plot twists and turns, but I've really enjoyed the challenge and couldn't imagine writing anything else now.

3. Did you know when you were working on the first book, it would develop into a series?
Yes, I had always envisioned it as a series. When I first pitched it to my editor I had the first book written and the next two plotted out. So, I was really happy when she was as gung-ho about doing a series as I was.

4. What inspired ALIBI IN HIGH HEELS?
I was really hoping to write off a trip to Paris. Lol! Okay, not really, but one of the things I love about writing is the ability to live vicariously through my characters. So, I decided to send Maddie on the European vacation I'd love to go on. Well, minus the dead bodies of course.

5. Describe Maddie in three words.
Blonde. Fashionable. Tenacious.

6. What do you love most about Maddie?
Her flaws. When I wrote the first book, I was at a point where I was tired of writing about "perfect" characters - heroes and heroines whose morals and choices are above reproach. Maddie makes mistakes. A lot of them. She's basically a good person, but, like most people, she falls down a lot in life and has to pick herself back up.

7. What's the toughest thing about writing a mystery series? What's the best?
Hands down the hardest thing about writing this series has been to keep the character and storylines fresh. There's a fine line between being repetitive and staying true to the characters, so straddling that line has been my biggest challenge with this series. Hopefully I've pulled it off!The best part is when readers come up to me and start talking about Maddie as if she's a real person. I love that! I think the great thing about a continuing series is that readers really get to know the characters as well as I do, which is totally fun for me.

8. What was your favorite scene to write in ALIBI IN HIGH HEELS?
In ALIBI IN HIGH HEELS, Maddie and her boyfriend are at a bit of a relationship crossroads, so I really enjoyed writing the heated scenes between the two of them. I got to get into some deeper issues of their relationship with this book, so that was fun. But my absolute favorite scene is the last one in the book. No, I won't tell you what happens - you have to read it! :)

9. What would readers be surprised to know about you?
That I'm actually more like Dana than Maddie. I'm a total health nut when it comes to food, and can be found at the gym at least 5 times a week. All my junk food consumption is done through my characters.

10. What's next for you?
I just finished up the next book in the High Heels series, MAYHEM IN HIGH HEELS. This will be the final book in the series, and I've cooked up a real bang-up ending. The story centers around a murdered wedding planner, so I had a blast delving into the world of Hollywood weddings. I think I had more fun with this one than any book so far. It will be out in Jan. '09, so let me know what you think!

Gemma, thank you so much for answering our questions. We can't wait to review MAYHEM IN HIGH HEELS! We'll be looking for it to hit the New York Times Bestseller List. :)

Interviewed by Lisa
May 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment