Thursday, July 16, 2009

Jasmine Haynes

Hi Jasmine! Thanks for agreeing to chat with us at Enchanting Reviews.

1. What made you want to be a writer?
It might sound disingenuous, but I think I was born a writer, or at least a story-teller. I’ve always made up stories, for as long as I can remember. I wrote my first story when I was six. I wrote my first novel when I was in high school. My junior English class was creative writing class, and the semester assignment was to write two short stories. I asked the teacher if it would be all right if I wrote a book instead. It was a Gothic romance because my favorite authors were Victoria Holt and Phyllis Whitney. So I’ve always been a writer.

2. How long did it take you to become published?
Being a published writer took a bit longer. Like 25 years! After taking several writing courses, I finally joined the Romance Writers of America. There, I really learned my craft plus got to know industry professionals. I learned that a synopsis was NOT 60 pages long! Yep, I did that in my ignorance. That’s why every romance writer needs the RWA! I began submitting seriously to agents and publishers. From joining RWA to my first sale took 8 years. It was a Jasmine Haynes erotic romance sold to www.LiquidSilverBooks.com. I was a very late bloomer!

3. What’s your favorite thing about being a published author?
It’s when I get an e-mail from someone thanking me for touching his or her life. I had many readers e-mail me about my Max Starr series, which I write as JB Skully for Liquid Silver. People really believed in my characters and their real-life emotions, that they could relate, that in small ways it helped them view things differently in their own lives. I think that’s the best thing a writer can hear.

4. What do you know now that you wish you’d known when you were first published?
When I first got published, I wish I’d known how much promotion was going to suck up my life. I would have hired a publicist right then and had them do all the work!

5. What sparked the idea for THE FORTUNE HUNTER?
The idea came to me first, then the characters. Turner Classic Movies played “The Heiress.” It’s a civil war period piece in which Olivia DeHavilland plays a rich plain Jane (I’m still not sure how they made HER look plain). Montgomery Clift wants to marry her for her money. I started watching and suddenly thought wow, wouldn’t it be fun to do this as a contemporary, but instead of having the man court her and profess false love, he strikes a bargain with her. He’ll give her what she wants, and she’ll give him what he wants. I didn’t watch the rest of the movie because I didn’t want to be influenced by what happened. A reviewer once said THE FORTUNE HUNTER has a bit of a historical feel to it, and he was right on.

6. Describe the story in three words.
Lusty marriage of convenience (please forgive me the preposition).

7. What do you like best about Faith and Connor?
It’s all in their names! I love that Faith refuses to lose faith in Connor. He made a bargain with her and no matter what anyone else does to try to come between them, she believes he’ll stand by his word. With Connor, I love that he’s forthright, telling her what he wants and how he’s going to make it worth her while, that he’ll never violate their agreement. In his case, his name, short for con, is actually the opposite of his character.

8. What was your favorite scene to write in THE FORTUNE HUNTER?
My favorite was the piano bar scene. I shall say no more, you’ll have to read the book!

9. What do you like best about writing a series?
I like being able to revisit characters I loved writing. I also like the fact that the background is already there. I don’t have to reinvent the wheel. Available July 1, SHOW AND TELL is the sequel to THE FORTUNE HUNTER. Readers meet my heroine Trinity Green in THE FORTUNE HUNTER. She’s Faith best friend. In SHOW AND TELL, she falls on hard times. When I started writing Trinity’s story, I had all the basics, her characterization, back story, even the catalyst for her story. All I had to do was figure out what terrible things my writer’s mind could subject her to so that she could grow as a character. Hopefully I put her in some very interesting situations! You can read an excerpt on my website at http://www.skullybuzz.com/.

10. What are you working on next?
I’m currently working on the third book in the trilogy, FAIR GAME, which will be out in April 2009. It’s Josie’s story, Faith’s cousin. This is a very fun story to write because Josie is much wilder than Faith and Trinity. She keeps it tamped down in the two previous books, but her true nature comes out in FAIR GAME. I’ve also got UNLACED coming out Dec 2008, an anthology with stories by Jaci Burton, Joey Hill, and Denise Rossetti. In addition, as Jennifer Skully, I’m working on a women’s fiction book. I have multiple personalities!

11. Any last words for your readers?
I hope readers will visit my site http://www.skullybuzz.com/ to learn more. And don't miss my contest with lots of free books and lots of winners, going on now at http://www.skullybuzz.com/contest.html.

Jasmine, again I wish to thank you for your time today. Congrats on your next releases. We at Enchanting Reviews look forward to seeing more work from you in the near future.

Thanks so much for having me!

Interviewed by Lisa
July 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment