Thursday, July 16, 2009

Mark Henry

Hi Mark, thanks for agreeing to chat with Enchanting Reviews about your books. We are so excited about getting to know you better.

1. What made you want to be a writer?
I've always told stories--some people would call them "lies", I call them fiction. It's just been recently that I've started to write them down. As far as, what "made" me want to write, that's a hard one. I think I just knew I had it in me. I'm pretty observant and I have a decent memory, mix those with an unhealthy love of sick humor and it was only a matter of time before I'd have to start shocking people outside my immediate circle of friends and family.

2. Why Urban Fantasy?
I didn't even know that's what I was writing. I thought I was writing a zombie parody of chick lit. It was later, when I pitched the idea to an editor that I learned that there was an entire fantasy sub-genre out there that I'd fit nicely into. Not that I'm entirely comfortable with the label. I see my work as primarily comic, darkly so, but the intent is still to make the reader laugh.

3. What's your writing routine like?
I get up between 6 and 7 a.m. Let the dogs out, drink coffee, answer emails, blog, read my f-list, play scramble, scrabulous and word twist on facebook, twitter a bit, respond to friend requests, then I'll usually look at my watch, notice it's time for lunch and figure I'd better get off my ass and write. I try to get in a few hours per day, but most of the time I end up procrastinating to the point of having to lock myself away to meet a deadline. Then I have to deal with the resulting stress and anxiety, I'm going to give myself an ulcer, I know it.

4. What sparked HAPPY HOUR OF THE DAMNED?
I'd read David Wellington's Monster Island and loved his idea of a sentient villain, it reminded me of two zombie stories I loved in the 80s, both were parodies of the popular "it's all about me" novels of the time (Bret Easton Ellis's Less than Zero and Jay McInerny's Bright Lights, Big City). Anyway, I started wondering what it would be like if Samantha from Sex and the City turned out to be a zombie (don't ask how I made that jump, cuz I really don't know) and that's how Amanda was born. Now, Amanda is no Samantha but she is hardened, aggressive and self-serving so the comparison could fit.5. Describe the story in three words.Unapologetic zombie extravaganza.

6. What made you decide to put footnotes in the story? Do you have a favorite?
It just happened one day. I've read several novels that utilized them, but not to comedic effect, so I gave it a shot. My favorite is--cover your children's eyes--#25. I'm talkin' anal, bitches. Don't be coy.

7. Amanda is pretty unique. What's your favorite quality about her?
That she doesn't censor herself. These days, political correctness has gotten out of hand and everything is delivered with softeners (please note my answer to #6 was even given a warning--and don't think I couldn't slap myself for doing it). I can't stand it. There is no place for censorship in comedy.

8. What was the hardest part of writing HAPPY HOUR OF THE DAMNED?
Chapter three, no question. I struggled with introducing the fact that these zombies were not going to find alternative sources of food. I've read vampire books where the vamps drink cow blood; even Anne Rice had Louis sucking rats dry in interview. I just knew I didn't want that. Mine had to be flesh-eating ghouls or I'd be being dishonest. You see I love me some zombies. Ever since I was a kid they've been my favorite movie monster. The fact that they'll eat you is what makes them dangerous and I had not intention of neutering mine, or spaying for that matter.

9. What would readers be surprised to know about you?
That I love to read and watch cozy mysteries. My favorite series is The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith. It's brilliantly written and very precise despite seeming merely quaint and provincial. I'm also a big fan of Lilian Jackson Braun's Cat Who series.

10. What's next for you?
Well, the second book in the series, ROAD TRIP OF THE LIVING DEAD, is heading to the copy editor and will be out in March 2009. In the meantime, I'm working on the first book of a new series about an incubus with an erectile dysfunction, which is totally dark and twisted, and I'm part of the way through AMERICAN MINIONS, the 3rd Amanda book. So pretty busy thinking up weird ways to make people laugh.

Mark, thank you so much for answering our questions. We can't wait to review your new work! See you around on Facebook.

Interviewed by Lisa
May 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment